This Italian lemon and garlic shrimp with avocado is one of my favorite easy meals that can be made in less than 30 minutes for one person or for a crowd. The shrimp only need minutes to cook and the lemon, garlic and white wine sauce adds so much flavor. It is served with avocado slices for a delicious and creamy freshness that goes so well with the shrimp. This Italian shrimp recipe can be made as an appetizer or as a light meal with some good bruschetta to go along with it.
About this Lemon and Garlic Shrimp Recipe
It has been a little while since I shared some of my favorite recipes from my recent trip to Italy. I don't know why it has taken me so long to write about this Italian shrimp because this was definitely one our favorite meals during the trip.
Normally I don't think of avocado as being Italian but it was definitely being served all over Italy. I guess they are having a moment with it just like we are.
This lemon and garlic shrimp with avocado is so brilliant and so delicious. There are just a few ingredients (shrimp, avocado, garlic, lemon and white wine) to throw this shrimp bowl together and it is such a quick meal.
When we ate this shrimp and avocado bowl (it was just called shrimp and avocado on the menu with no fancy Italian name) my husband and I were ordering food to go along with our aperitivo. This shrimp and avocado bowl can be used as an appetizer like this or you can make it into a lighter meal, the way I like to make it at home.
This Italian lemon and garlic shrimp is really a dish you need to try.
Just a few ingredients are needed to make this delicious Italian style lemon and garlic shrimp. Here is what they are:
- Jumbo shrimp: Uncooked jumbo shrimp with the tails removed and deveined.
- Lemon: This is that lemony flavor that pairs so well with shrimp.
- Garlic: The garlicky flavor with this shrimp is what makes it so traditionally Italian!
- Avocado: The odd but very delicious addition to the dish. It really works. Lemon, garlic and avocado go so well together.
- White wine: I like using a crisp dry Italian white wine like Gavi or Pinot Grigio.
- Crusty bread: Trust me, you want to have some to soak up that delicious lemon garlicky broth! I actually like putting the shrimp and avocado right on to the toasted bread.
That is it. The recipe below is a recipe for one since I make this dish for myself often when the rest of the family is out and it is just me.
If you are not making a dinner for one, you can easily adjust the recipe up for a larger group and it is still really easy and ready in under 30 minutes.
How to make this Italian Shrimp
This lemon and garlic shrimp with avocado is so easy to make! It is so easy in fact that you will want to make sure you have all your ingredients prepped first because the cooking takes no time at all.
- Saute shrimp: In a large saute pan, saute the shrimp in a little olive oil. This takes only a couple minutes.
- Cook garlic: Add the sliced garlic cloves and cook for one minute.
- Add lemon and wine: Once the garlic is cooked, just add the lemon juice and white wine, reduce down for a couple minutes then add the shrimp back into the pan.
- Serve: Pour the shrimp and some of the garlicky lemon broth into a bowl and top with the fresh sliced avocado. Don't forget to tuck a piece of good crusty bread into the bowl too.
This Italian lemon garlic shrimp is super simple and really big on flavor just the way it is. This doesn't mean you can't add your own touches or switch up the cooking method.
If you would prefer to grill the shrimp, that is totally fine and nothing changes with the recipe exact that.
If you would like to make this recipe without avocado, this shrimp dish will still be amazing.
Switch it up to your taste and make this your own!
What to serve with Lemon Garlic Shrimp
If you want some ideas of what to serve with this easy Italian shrimp recipe, here are our favorites:
More Easy Italian Recipes
If you love this lemon and garlic shrimp, you may also like these:
Lemon and Garlic Shrimp with Avocado
- 6 Jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined and tales removed
- 4 Cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 3 tablespoon Lemon juice plus more for avocado
- ⅛ cup White wine
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 avocado sliced and a little lemon drizzle over the slices to prevent browning.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil.1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Add shrimp and saute shrimp for about 1-2 minutes per side until they turn pink and are white.6 Jumbo shrimp
- Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.4 Cloves of garlic
- Add lemon and white wine and reduce down for a couple minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.3 tablespoon Lemon juice, ⅛ cup White wine
- Add salt and mix well.½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Add shrimp back to the pan with broth and turn off the heat.
- Pour the shrimp and some broth into a large bowl
- Top with avocado slices.1 avocado
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!