Italian roasted tomatoes are a delicious and very simple side that anyone can make and it goes with so many dishes. These roasted tomatoes are a great simplistic way to use summer tomatoes that are in abundance and only requires a few simple ingredients. Serve these on their own or with Italian fried eggplant, white bean bruschetta or with baked Italian sausage for a complete meal.
About this recipe:
Italians really love simple recipes that let the food be the star of the show and these roasted Italian tomatoes are a great example of that. This recipe uses garden fresh tomatoes but you could easily use store bought and not in season tomatoes as well since the roasting process will really sweeten up the tomatoes.
Ingredients you will need:
- Roma tomatoes
- Fresh garlic.
- Olive oil.
- Kosher salt.
- Red pepper flakes (optional). I love sprinkling a pinch of red pepper flakes on the tomatoes when they are first out of the oven. It is not too spicy and adds a little bit more depth of flavor.
Here are the steps to make these tomatoes:
These tomatoes are really easy! I love to make a big batch and save the leftover roasted tomatoes to add to my lunch salads during the week.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use these roasted tomatoes:
- I love serving these roasted tomatoes with baked Italian sausage.When you cut through the warm tomatoes, the juices from the tomatoes cover the sausage and it is so delicious.
- I also love serving these over top of my baked Italian cannellini beans.
- As I mentioned above, I will warm leftover roasted tomatoes in the microwave for a minute and then add one or two to my weekday lunch salads 🙂
- These tomatoes would go really well over angel hair pasta or spaghetti that is drizzled with a little olive oil. Really good that way.
- We sometimes make a quick sherry shallot vinaigrette to drizzle over these roasted tomatoes to add a little fresh note to the dish.
More Italian Side Dishes
More Simple Italian Recipes You Will Love:
- Italian American Meat Sauce
- Angel Hair Pasta Pomodoro
- Zucchini Soup
- Roasted Italian Cabbage
- Italian Pork Chops
- Italicus Cocktail
- How To Cook Angel Hair Pasta
Italian Roasted Tomatoes
- sheet pan
- 5 Roma Tomatoes cut in half length wise
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Place the cut tomatoes on to a sheet pan with the cut side facing up.5 Roma Tomatoes
- Drizzle the tomatoes evenly with olive oil.4 tablespoon olive oil
- Sprinkle the minced garlic evenly overe the tomatoes.3 cloves of garlic
- Now evenly sprinkle the kosher salt over the tomatoes.1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften and the garlic is cooked and fragrant. If the garlic looks like it is starting to brown before the cooking is finished, cover the tomatoes with aluminum foil and finish cooking.
- When done, sprinkle a pinch of red pepper flakes over the tomatoes (optional).pinch of red pepper flakes
- Serve warm.