Roasted Italian cabbage is a simple and delicious way to prepare cabbage in the cooler months when cabbage is abundant. This Italian cabbage is roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper and finished with aged balsamic vinegar.
The preparation is very simple but the flavor from roasting the cabbage and then finishing it with thick sweet balsamic makes it so amazing. This Italian cabbage recipe is what Italian simplicity in the kitchen is all about.
About this Italian Cabbage Recipe
Italians are all about simplicity when it comes to cooking their vegetables, and this Italian cabbage recipe is no different. There are only a few ingredients you will need so you want to make sure they are quality ingredients.
For the balsamic that tops this roasted cabbage, you will need an aged balsamic vinegar. If you do not have aged balsamic, you can reduce regular store-bought balsamic vinegar until it becomes a glaze.
I've included a link to a recipe for this below.
Ingredients you will need
- Head of cabbage. Green Cabbage is best but you can use purple cabbage as well.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Aged balsamic vinegar.
- Freshly grated Parmesan.
- Kosher salt.
- Fresh ground pepper.
How to Make Roasted Cabbage
To make this Italian roasted cabbage, the first thing you want to do is cut the cabbage in half, remove the inner core (this is tough and not edible) and slice the halves into small wedges.
When you have the cabbage sliced into wedges like in the picture above, place them onto a sheet pan and drizzle them liberally with the olive oil. Make sure to get the olive oil into as many of the layers of cabbage as possible.
After this, it is straight into a pre-heated hot oven to roast until it softens and lightly caramelizes.
How Long Do You Roast Cabbage
Roasting cabbage will vary based on how thick your cabbage is sliced. The roasting can take anywhere from 25-35 minutes.
It is well worth the wait, trust me! This Italian cabbage recipe is delicious.
What to Serve With This Italian Cabbage
This cabbage recipe will go with so many things. It can also be eaten on its own since these roasted cabbage wedges are so thick and meaty in texture.
If you want a few specific recipe ideas to serve with this, here are my favorites:
- It makes a delicious side to go with Italian pork chops.
- We also love serving this alongside chicken piccata. The lemon in the piccata really compliments the balsamic drizzled on top of the Italian cabbage.
- We love making a quick and easy sherry shallot dressing to drizzle over this when we have time. The combination of tangy vinaigrette with the roasted cabbage is a great combo of flavors.
Roasted Italian Cabbage
- 1 head of green cabbage
- ⅓ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup Aged balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove any damaged outer leaves from the head of cabbage and discard.1 head of green cabbage
- With a sharp knife, cut the cabbage in half.
- Now cut out the core of the cabbage and discard.
- Now begin to cut the halves of cabbage into thick wedges.
- Gently scoop the cabbage wedges up and place them on to a sheet pan.
- Drizzle the cabbage wedges with the olive oil making sure to get olive oil into the layers of the cabbage wedges.⅓ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Now sprinkle the cabbage evenly with the salt and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper.1 tablespoon Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Place in the pre-heated oven and cook for 25-35 minutes or until the cabbage is lightly browned and just starting to caramelize on the edges..
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the aged balsamic over the cabbage.¼ cup Aged balsamic vinegar
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over top.¼ cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- Serve immediately.