This Italian ricotta tomato galette is a simple rustic Italian galette that makes great use of fresh tomatoes and it is so easy to make. This Italian galette is made up of pie crust, olive tapenade, fresh ricotta cheese and cherry tomatoes. Make this rustic cherry tomato galette anytime of year but especially when fresh cherry tomatoes are in season.
About this Italian Galette
This rustic tomato galette is a classic way to use tomatoes when they are in season. The rustic nature of the galette is the best part of this recipe, no fuss and no special skills needed.
The flavors of this cherry tomato galette are complimented by the delicious olive tapenade (tomatoes and olives are the perfect match) which most Italians have on hand.
If I am in Italy, I like to use a mix of Italian olives and capers for the tapenade but at home, I just buy store bought tapenade and works just fine.
The same goes for the pie crust base to this tomato galette. If you prefer to use store bought pie crust, go for it. I promise it will be amazing either way.
What you will need:
The ingredients to make this ricotta tomato galette are so simple. Here is what you need (full quantities below in recipe):
- Cherry Tomatoes. You can use grape tomatoes as well.
- Pie crust. Store bought pie crust (or homemade). If you need a pie crust recipe it is added in the recipe notes section.
- Olive tapenade. Any good quality olive tapenade will work.
- Ricotta cheese. I prefer using full fat ricotta because it has a sweet creaminess that cannot be beat.
- Olive oil.
- Egg wash: This is one egg beaten. It is used to brush the edges of the tomato galette for a nice golden brown color.
- Herbs de Provence. You can also use Italian seasoning if you prefer.
- Kosher salt.
How to make this tomato ricotta galette
This ricotta tomato galette are so easy to make. It is actually really fun making this Italian galette and if you have family members or friends who enjoy artful presentations, get them involved in laying out the cherry tomatoes!
- Roll out pie crust: The first thing you want to do is roll out the pie crust so that it is even in size.
- Add tapenade: Now add that tapenade over the pie crust, making sure to leave a good one inch border for when you fold in the sides of the galette.
- Add cherry tomatoes: I like to slice the cherry tomatoes in half and then face them up in a concentric circle over the tapenade.
- Fold in pie crust edges: Once the tomatoes are laid out over the pie crust, you can begin folding in the pie crust borders just over the outer edge of the tomatoes. Make sure to give a good press down so the folded edges remain down during baking.
- Add egg wash and seasoning: You just want to brush the edges of the galette with the egg wash then drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle your salt and herbs over the entire galette (including the crust.)
Now it is off to the oven to bake at 375 degrees for 30 -40 minutes or until golden brown. Once it out of the oven and has cooled for a little, you can add the ricotta cheese to the center.
If you prefer, you can just serve the ricotta on the side.
I love this ricotta and tomato galette just the way it is but you can certainly change things up a bit. Here are some ideas:
- Use fresh tomato slices instead of cherry tomatoes.
- Use Italian seasoning instead of herbs de Provence.
- Swap out the ricotta cheese and use burrata instead.
- Use a whipped lemon ricotta in place of regular ricotta.
- Use fresh mozzarella slices instead of ricotta.
- Add fresh basil after cooking.
Make this your own. Just follow the basic steps of making this tomato galette and any flavor variations will be amazing.
What to serve with tomato galette
If you are looking for ideas of what to serve with this Italian tomato galette, here are some ideas:
More recipes like this
If you love this ricotta tomato galette, you may also like these:
Italian Tomato Ricotta Galette
- 1 pie crust store bought or you can make your own with this pie crust recipe.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes Cut in half
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup olive tapenade
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll our pie crust so that all sides are even.1 pie crust
- Place rolled out pie crust on to prepared sheet pan.
- Spread olive tapenade over the pie crust making sure to leave a 1 inch border without it.½ cup olive tapenade
- Place cherry tomatoes cut side up in a concentric circle over top of the tapenade.1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Fold the pie crust edges over so that it just covers the outside edge of the tomatoes. Make sure to press the folds down well so they stay in place during baking.
- Brush the pie crust edge with egg wash.1 egg
- Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes.2 tablespoon olive oil
- Sprinkle the herbs evenly over tomatoes and pie crust.1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt.1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pie crust is golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with ricotta in center of galette or on the side.1 cup ricotta cheese