Italian Ricotta pie is a delicious creamy pie made from ricotta, eggs and lemon and quite addictive. Traditionally ricotta pie is made at Easter and holidays but you can make this easy Italian pie anytime of year.
About this ricotta pie:
Now there are as many recipes for ricotta pie as there are recipes for red sauce. The basic ingredients are always, ricotta, egg, sugar, lemon and pie crust. This recipe adds a bit of sour cream to give the final ricotta pie a smooth texture and to eliminate the dryness that can sometimes happen with this Italian dessert.
This is a very simple and uncomplicated recipe. Italians love making this pie and this pizzelle recipe (an Italian thin cookie) at the holidays. Both are very simple and so good.
The ricotta pie will a need a little time to set up in the refrigerator after cooling but it is well worth the wait. It is at this point that it goes from a custardy texture to a smooth and dense pie.
For More Italian Dessert Inspiration:
- Torta Tenerina- Italian Brownie Cake
- Buttermilk Vanilla Panna Cotta
- Sultana Cookies- Italian Cornmeal Cookies
- Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze
- Italian Rice Pudding
Smooth and Creamy Italian Ricotta Pie.
- 1 pie crust For pie crust recipe, see link below in the notes.
- 2 cups ricotta Whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zest of the lemon and the juice
- pinch of salt
- Add your pie crust to a 9 inch round pie pan and crimp the edges and remove any excess crust.
- Set aside.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add your eggs, vanilla and sugar and mix well for 1 minute.
- Now add your ricotta, sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix it all in.
- Add your flour and salt and mix for 1 minute until yo do not see any more lumps.
- Pour your ricotta mixture into your pie pan and place in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the texture of the pie is firm and not jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours but preferably 4 hours.
- Serve as is, with whipped cream or sprinkled with a little fresh cinnamon.
This looks amazing!
OMG, I am addicted to this ricotta pie. We have made it 3 times now and each time it is eaten quickly 🙂
This was like the ricotta pie I grew up eating! So good
This ricotta pie is my new favorite pie. Silky and creamy and so good!