This easy penne alla vodka is a delicious and creamy pasta dish made with tomatoes, vodka, cream and spices. You will often find a meat in the sauce that is added before serving that adds a light salty bite. The end result is a beautifully delicious and creamy pasta sauce that tastes so good. The Penne alla vodka comes from a popular restaurant in Miami and it is the one I have cooked for years with great success.
About this Penne alla Vodka
Penne alla vodka just means penne with vodka but it is actually so much more. The sauce is always a combination of tomatoes, cream and vodka and it makes such a beautiful combination of flavors.
The end color is this vodka sauce is very much a peach color. There are almost equal parts cream to tomato sauce but you can use a little less cream if that is your preference. You can make this along with a traditional Italian ricotta pie for a truly unforgettable Italian dining experience.
Ingredients you will need for this penne with vodka sauce:
- Penne pasta
- Vodka (good quality).
- Heavy Cream.
- Tomato Sauce (Recipe below or you can same some time and use store bought.)
- Kosher Salt (for the pasta water and the sauce).
This is an easy Italian pasta recipe that tastes like it took all day to make but really it is ready in under 40 minutes. This makes the best leftovers as well so if you like a hot lunch this makes a great option.
How to make this recipe easier
If you want to save time and not make the homemade tomato sauce portion of the this recipe, you can easily use store bought pasta sauce. If you do decide to do this, make sure you are buying only really good quality jarred sauce like RAOs sauce.
If you can, I do recommend making the sauce from scratch.
More Like This
Easy Penne alla Vodka
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 28 ounce Whole canned Italian tomatoes preferably San Marzano
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup Vodka Good quality
- 4 ounces prosciutto torn or cut into small strips
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ⅛ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 fresh basil leaf
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add your olive oil.
- Now add your onions to the olive oil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Now add your garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add your vodka and let the alcohol cook out, about 3- 4 minutes or until you cannot smell the alcohol anymore.
- Now add youc anned tomatoes and give them a good mash down with a potato masher or mug.
- Add your salt, basil and oregano and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add your peas and reduce heat to low.
- When your pasta water is boiling, add a good handful of salt and then add your pasta.
- Cook according to the manufacturers instructions for al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, stir your sauce again.
- Now add your cream and butter and mix well. Allow the butter to melt and mix again.
- Add your torn prosciutto to the sauce and mix it in then turn off the heat.
- Taste for any additional salt needed.
- Once your pasta is fully cooked, drain and then add it to your sauce.
- Gently toss it around to coat all of the pasta.
- Serve immediately.
It came out delicious. Everyone is asking for the recipe. Can’t wait to see more Italian recipes!
Wow! This pasta was incredible and so easy to make too!